Friday, February 16, 2018

What became of January

I left out January because in January I had flu, and the Arctic temperatures prompted a hibernation. It was so cold that the heat pump working all day could not raise the heat in house to 62. I slept and when necessary bundled up (3 hats, etc) to open and then close the chickens. Having to bring out the tea pot of boiling water to break up the ice in their water basin. Alma seems to have caught flu at nearly same time; she had the flu shot (which has proven nearly useless this year) while I did not (but I did have remedies which helped). Hardly went out for two weeks, just to avoid spreading flu to others. I couldn't visit Meghan as I couldn't risk giving her flu. This late fall she was diagnosed with 4th stage cancer of unknown origin, having ended up in ER with fluid surrounding heart. Meghan was just 60 last year and last year nursed Carol thru treatments for uterine cancer. Meghan wanted to fight her diagnosis as Carol had, the doctor ordered a chemo treatment which poisoned her nearly to death. Her legs swelled and oozed, she could hardly walk and the fluid began to fill her lungs quicker and quicker. She spent almost 2 weeks in the CCU in Roanoke, now diagnosed with CHF and 4th stage lung cancer. I went by to see her before I left for Dominican Republic, sensing I might not see her again. Carol took my note and eggs, but Meg was sleeping. She died on January 30, rode out on a giant blue moon.


No comments:

Post a Comment