Friday, March 9, 2012

planting time


Every day I am picking watercress for green smoothie in the morning and for salad at dinner; arugula from the garden still provides leaves along with beet leaves and a bit of chard that has escaped a vole attack. Speaking of voles, Katrina was playing with one on the deck yesterday! Cheers to her as I had asked her if she could find the vole who was munching down on the few tulips I have left by the house. My yard contains a mole suburbia which the voles must equally enjoy. I don't mind the yard's uneven topography; but I do hate to see the tunnels moving down a row of freshly planted seeds. The moles eat the slugs which is a boon, but unfortunately, their cohorts, the voles, follow and chop down on veggies, loving sweet potatoes. But it is Spring and I am planting in my raised beds! I love that I can get my fingers into soil this early and not have to wait for tilling. Today after DD went home with her Baba, I planted two rows of peas which she had brought. I put in a spinach row along with several rows of onion sets. I planted tendergreens and beets and more arugula and parsley and cilantro.


No comments:

Post a Comment