Monday, July 5, 2010

Independence Day

I'd love to have a picture, but then everything was moving so quickly and i didn't have a free hand: at 8 PM I found a black snake in the process of swallowing an egg. Impulsively I grabbed him behind his head and he disgorged the egg. I whipped him out of the chicken house, managed to latch the door as he first coiled about my wrist and then my waist! I ran to the house and tediously opened a plastic bag with one hand and pushed writhing snake inside - not easy! I secured the bag and ran to car, drove snake to corner of Piney woods and Big Branch and dumped him out. Could have been a her, but then I couldn't tell. I'm sure he ate eggs the day before. I've had a sense that there has been a visitor in the coop, but had failed to discover the invader.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! For a while you had your black belt in snake karate! CRAZY! HOW BRAVE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. David got bit by the black snake trying to do that same thing when it was discovered in the nest.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete