Saturday, June 9, 2012

early garden mornings

After I open the chicken coop, I enter the garden to choose greens for my morning smoothie - the collards have been providing most of the mix of late - their large gray green leaves remaining tender and sweet. I now have lamb's quarters to add; this morning I added a few sugar snap peas as I have a good crop. I have been planting lettuce and arugula and beets every week in hopes of replacing the rabbit damage which left me bereft of these greens. Oh, delight this year I have squash plants on the edge of bloom, tomato plants with green baby orbs this soon. 
Watching Maria Sharapova and Sara Errani in the finals of the French Open with mr Lee on my lap. I hadn't planned to be inside when this is the best time for garden work, but I have missed watching tennis - this just a wee indulgence. Well, perhaps tomorrow morning for the men's final, I will again be sitting here. I am discouraged by the damage by deer this year around the house (which does not have fencing as does the vegetable garden). They have munched the buds of the purple and red day lilies. My deer away concoction doesn't seem to be thwarting their appetites. I'm making a stronger brew today to set in the sun. 


No comments:

Post a Comment