Friday, February 21, 2014

Dream of my Grandmother, born in the year of the rat

Dream of my grandmother, only wisps of remembering
I look at her picture this morning with a stab of familiarity
as if just hours ago I left her on vacation in Bermuda,
or fell behind as she fast walked up 7th Avenue on her buying trip,
or was it while I struggled to peel a peach for Grampse
she disappeared in the garden?
Her energy announced her
my sister and I her willing audience
or co-conspirators to surprise.
Every night a new story,
her back rubs cast out our nightmares.
The summers with her were hiatus
from the manic atmosphere our home.
Once she tried to charm a cornered rat
which bither hand offering food;
the only unbedazzled animal
she ever met.















1 comment:

  1. This is lovely, Mary. It reminds me a bit of KFH, whose energy also announced her.

    Emily

    ReplyDelete