Friday, September 25, 2015

Today on my river walk

I didn't have a camera to take a picture of the Hearts a Bursting, but i will hope to capture a photo to add to this post this weekend, in spite of the possibility of rain. I did on the path to the swimming hole (though I wasn't going to swim, because of chill and head cold), find hickory nuts, strange small black pecans and oyster mushrooms! Baldwin has discovered how delicious the hickory nuts are, especially the ones from the shag bark hickory. I've been wanting to taste them, they smell wonderful, vanilla-isn. The squirrels so quickly eat or hide them that they are not that easily discovered. We have many hickory trees; I am surprised we haven't harvested more nuts. The vast majority of the nuts here are black walnuts, terribly  difficult to crack. I have a battle trying to keep the seedlings from garden and even under the deck.

No comments:

Post a Comment