Thursday, September 10, 2009

morning sunshine in grey day


another rainy morning moving into afternoon, lucky for me I had DD to cheer me ! Meeting tonight at Ann's for WEB6 to discuss new production/play - i'll be the blue taxi. I need to dig up my old play on caring for my mother dying from lung cancer - assuming that it is on this computer!Recalling on walk back from the river the event which estranged me from my sister and mom: their mononucleosis and my banishment to Gram's house when I was 8 or 9. No one to find out more details of this time; my Dad doesn't remember - I should ask Ashton if her remembers when I lived across 2nd street from him and we rode the bus to Country Day together and played casnasta with his parents. I can remember the big bedroom that i stayed in with a huge bathroom; toilet with beday. I remember sitting on the toilet with my feet in the beday! Gram, my great grandmother was dying in a room at the end of the hall - it was a bit spooky thinking of her there - and of going into the room where she'd grab my hand so hard. Such a skeletal hand and body and that smell of baby powder on an old body. Netsie and Florence lived in the very back - old servant's quarters attached to the big old victorian house. They fed me and cared for Gram; I remember pancakes with corn syrup, which has forever caused me to hate corn syrup! But I loved the round loaves of bread toasted in Netsie's old slant sided toaster. Netsie was my grandmother and her siblings' German nurse; Florence had been with my grandmother since she was a girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment