Sunday, May 13, 2012

Peter Rabbit cornered

This evening I made an attempt to secure the chicken yard from what I hazard is loose enough fencing that rabbit could squeeze under. The chickens delighted in my work as it entailed shovels of earth tossed at the fence, earth filled with rudely dislodged earthworms and cut worms and no doubt other chicken candies. I will have to find other solutions as the chickens have scratched away most of my work! Yesterday evening I surprised rabbit, who ran from one corner of the garden to the next - frantically - trying to find an escape hole. I inspected the fence, but could not find a sure entrance. It was in the chicken yard that I found the most likely entrance. Rabbit had managed to eat the tender tops off all of my young beets. Now I blame rabbit on my lack of lettuce. I know I planted several varieties and have only a few plants. My other plantings did well, no other explanation for no lettuce. It does seem like a boon rabbit year; there are several on our road in the evenings and mornings. Katrina was fairly unmoved by the rabbit event while Mr Lee went after Peter. I was the one who got very close and had an impulse to catch him - an impulse I smothered with the quickly following scenario of rabbit bite - and with the sure knowledge that I wouldn't have the nerve to strangle the bunny. 
In spite of Peter Rabbit, I had a wonderful Mother's Day! 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment