Wednesday, July 23, 2014

sick dog

Mr. Lee has been sick, hang dog no firm back legs to stand on sick. I, of course, am tail down too. He apparently has survived a sudden bacterial infection which nearly took out his kidneys. His kidney function is now in the normal range (much to the vet's amazement). About a month ago I took him to the vet with a fever, trembling and straining. Signs I now learn are symptoms of back pain. Unsure of a diagnosis, we went home.. I tried some homeopathy and he rebounded - literally bounding. But it was short lived and 2 weeks later I returned to vets after he vomited several times. This time antibiotics were prescribed and a urine sample which showed crystals in the urine and blood cells and raging bacterial infection.
Treated with antibiotics and a few homeopathic remedies, again he rebounded. He seemed in great shape Sunday. Then Monday morning he wouldn't eat and his back seemed in pain and his abdomen was tight with spasms. We changed antibiotics and I brought in a new urine sample. But by Tuesday he was no better and I brought him into the vets for x-ray and ultrasound. The vet is convinced that he has a back issue and sent him home with two pain meds and a muscle relaxer. I am trying homeopathy and the medication - hoping to wean him off the prescriptions. He's sleeping at my feet. He ate very well this morning! But he can's stand up for more that a minute before his rear legs collapse. Nevertheless, I have to keep him from trying to manage stairs.
I suspect it is a good afternoon for a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment