Sunday, October 21, 2012

1968 - 1972

I was living on Audubon St, in one of the two second floor apartments of an old house in New Orleans; it was only a two block walk to get a nectar soda at the K&B on Broadway and St.Charles. My husband of 3 months was in basic training at Fort Polk (simulated Vietnam) and I had a friend staying with me to help with the rent. She was working for the McGovern campaign whom we both supported; weekends we joined anti-war marches. Barbara had a boy friend in San Francisco and had flown out to visit him one weekend as I drove up to Ft Polk to see Bryce. I'd left the 3 foot tall pot plant in the bathtub when I left. That weekend the downstairs neighbor said the FBI had knocked on doors looking for Barbara. It appeared that they were after files which she had of McGovern backers. Today George McGovern died at age 90.

I have so mixed up my memory of that incident; well, the FBI looking for Barbara's files is correct - BUT, it had to have been Humphrey. In my mind I have always chalked the event (or non-event as the FBI did not go in my apartment) up to Nixon paranoia.  By 1972, I was living in Charlottesville and that was the year McGovern ran. 





1 comment:

  1. I like these stories of your life. It is so interesting..please do more.

    ReplyDelete