Monday, October 6, 2014

Blustery Day

A fine day for walk, brittle leaves papering ground creek and sky in the wind. Monday morning with grand kids who joined my effort to pick up black walnuts in the yard for relocation - even T could throw them successfully into the wheel barrow. If I leave the nuts to accumulate under the large tree by the house, I will inevitably slip one cold morning. And if we should loose power, navigating the wheel barrow to the wood shed is nearly impossible through nut strewn lawn. With any luck, there will be no need for wood stove this winter. Stop such thoughts!
We had a heavy frost already on Sunday morning; gone okra, peppers, squash and marigolds. I regret not harvesting more marigolds, their fragrance reminds me of Mexico and of India (though India by photo, while Oaxaca I visited for Day of the Dead). The cool days have inspired me to clean the garden of dead stalks; I scattered volunteer dill seeds on several of the beds. I want to conquer the wildness on the periphery of the garden next summer! I began well this spring, but the edges got out of hand.I am thinking of making an iris bed on one side - I have the irises that need thinning.
Yippee, today is worthy of celebration: Gay marriage is legal in Virginia! I am hoping to have a marriage at my house soon for friends.



No comments:

Post a Comment