Monday, February 28, 2011

suicide or not

It is too hard to pull up the going down death man, even rescue for an hour or two is likely doomed. But I suspect The Bible would never have touched the Professor, ever. I reconsider my father (birth father), who like the character played by Tommy Lee Jones, was Atheist - though raised Catholic would have certainly read The Bible. It was thought that war shock contributed or prompted my father's leap off the Huey Long Bridge; but I hazard it was death. Death had stalked my father since the destroyer O'Brien had been kamikaze-ed. My father felt he should be dead, everyone in the bridge was dead but him. Death had accosted the Professor, something had happened and the Professor got too close. There was family in my father's life that you might have thought would pull him back; doesn't seem to be any family or friends in the Professor's life. Samuel L. Jackson's character doesn't have any family; he lives in a hell hole - but he thinks he's saved and tries to save another. So there is not any ostensible reason why one man chooses life, the other death. No reason. If there were reason, there would be argument. There is no argument, only delay. I imagine it is more of a "falling" down or "drawing" towards. But truthfully I don't know. Good drama; excellent acting.

2 comments:

  1. Mary, You really GOT it...I've been thinking about this non stop since we watched it...could not articulate it like you did but this is IT exactly. I don't know either but I had a much stronger understanding of TLJones's characters thoughts than SLJackson's character's bible/god talk. good drama, excellent acting YES!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes - in a sense Cormac McCarthy cheated by having the characters both be so unencumbered; at least half of a good argument against suicide is what horror it visits on the surviving family. I sure loved looking at those two wonderful faces!

    ReplyDelete