Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Little River watershed

View from my spring which flows in a nameless creek into the Little River, the banks of "my" creek are thick with wild flowers and young trees, no cattle erode the banks; but above my land the creek begins where cattle have eroded the banks. Although we have had such drought in the past several years that no water flows in this area to my land, when we do get heavy rains or (as we did this spring) big snow melt, the creek above me turns muddy quickly. I went to the open house presented by DEQ last night at Sinkland Farm and was struck by how few people attended; i should say SADDENED. Years ago I was the only river land owner who spoke for the State Scenic River designation for the river - I was hoping tonight to see more land owners turning out for this who might feel as i do and interested in pushing for scenic river status again. Alas, I don't think we are near that point. In the section of the Little River which begins in Floyd, the river suffers from heat and loss of insect life which makes the river inhabitable for fish. The is an unacceptable situation in my estimate. WE should have folks up in arms. We need to put unemployed folks to work fencing out cattle. I know I am not alone in fretting over the increase in nitrogen fed green slimmy growth in the river (last years was worse - this year not really bad). I have lived in my farm house which is set back almost 1/2 a mile from my land on the river for 37 years and I have seen the changes in the water quality and in the decrease in fish population. Residents in this watershed need to be aware that what they do to their lawns matters, farmers need to respect that without good water their cattle suffer, we all need to work to bring this watershed to a better quality. ARGH.

1 comment: