Friday, December 31, 2010

2011 soon here

I've always been slow to pick up on remarks this time of year that begin with, "Last time I'll ________ this year!" I think "really!" Then it dawns on me that this is no abstention statement, it's simply a remark on the imminent change of year. Ok, so I just had my last glass of wine, my last walk to the river, my last dinner, my last (i hope) email, my last ...(actually i think that was 2009 - i'm not saying!). It is silly, and I am no fan of New Year's Eve. It has never proved more exciting that when i was 5 or 6 and awaken by my grandmother (for whom i am named); she opened the curtains to show us the fireworks in the sky over New Orleans. We were in her high 4 posted bed in great grandmother's house on St. Charles and Second Street (the iron fence is still there, but the huge house is gone, replaced by an apartment building).
I think I always have higher hopes for an entire year than possible to accomplish in 365 days! Thus New Year's Eve seems more an accounting of disappointments (such as, that Sarah Palin did not disappear from the scene or screen). Let alone the more personal reflections on the state of my Homeopathic work! But then I am delighted with the unexpected turn out for the qigong. And truly 2010 was wonderful in surprises: Mr. Lee being the biggest - ha! in the smallest of packages.
I don't want to take my family for granted; my children, their beautiful wives, my amazing grandchild are my biggest DELIGHT - beyond my expectations!
I think it is the shadow of poverty, of war, of misery, of injustice in the world that darkens the year's turn for me...I want everyone drink clean water, if I can ... my joy is diminished knowing this is not so.
(go to www.dropinthebucket.org)

No comments:

Post a Comment