Tuesday, February 9, 2016

An inch of snow over a slick coat of ice

The cold is here, this week's forecast, 30's during day, teens at night. I've doubled up on clothes. It's Mardi Gras; I'll have to celebrate in some way. I am reading a book about the cotton markets, The Cotton Kings: Capitalism and Corruption in Turn-of-the-Century New York and New Orleans in which my great grandfather, Frank Hayne, plays a big part. Fascinating story of how Wm P. Brown and Frank Hayne together managed to battle the NY Cotton Exchange who with the European mills were keeping cotton prices low, cheating the farmers. Tomorrow being Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent, I'm thinking of giving up procrastination about making art!  Or maybe I'll give up moving to Alaska (which I've never considered). 

No comments:

Post a Comment