Saturday, February 20, 2016

"I'll Miss Me," she said

Ruminating on walk up to collect the mail, what I was trying to say in my last post talking about Susan's videos, was that the video prompted me to see myself as another might, as a sister, or dear friend might and to realize that I am my closest friend. We might treat ourselves better, well, those of us who tend towards obsessive self-criticism. There was a Hospice patient who said something I will never forget: "I will miss me." I think I am beginning to understand her words, now having lived at least fifteen years beyond her age when she died. I guess one inherits bad practices; my mother, for instance, hardly appreciated anything about herself - and then my father killed himself and my twin sister so detested herself that she, too, killed herself. Not much to boost ones confidence. I suppose I feel fairly good about me, at least I haven't snuffed me out. And I do enjoy my company; I even like the things I like to eat.  Well, it took me awhile to figure out what I like to eat after having cooked what my husband liked for years. But Susan's video caused me to see me as a likable being! 

No comments:

Post a Comment